What NOT to do in a singing competition
1) SONG OUT OF YOUR RANGE
- A lot of young singers fall into the trap of thinking that singing competitions are purely about who can sing loudest and highest (NOT TRUE!), so many will try to execute particularly difficult songs that are not within a comfortable range, such as big power ballads by the likes of Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and Ariana Grande. While it is good challenge yourself and demonstrate your full vocal ability at singing competitions, always work to your personal strengths, and ALWAYS pick songs that sit comfortably within your range (soprano, alto etc).
2) PICKING SONGS FOR OTHERS.
- Never pick songs based on what you think the judges will prefer. You need to go with what excites you to perform most - if your heart isn't totally in the song, the judges and audience will be able to pick up on this. If you love country Pop music then go in with that! It really doesn't matter if it's not to everyone's personal taste, it is far more appealing to watch someone who is really enjoying themselves onstage and putting everything they have into the performance.
3) OVER DRESS
- While it is important to put effort into your appearance for singing competitions, don't wear anything that doesn't make you feel comfortable (girls who love their stilettos and tight dresses take note!) Once the nerves really set in, it's all too easy to put one foot wrong and trip on your way to the stage (I've been there!). If your outfit could potentially affect your ability to fully perform and work the stage, don't go there! Dress comfortably and just be the best version of you!
4) COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS
- Be nothing but 100% you! Everyone who performs on the night will have something different to bring to the table, and this is what singing competitions are all about! Work to your vocal strengths and pick a song you absolutely love, and be proud of your own achievements. There may very well be someone who wishes they could be like you to!
Writer - India Jade (season 3 competition winner)
DEBUT EP OUT NOW! https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/the-ep/id951322902